One lesson here is to never say never. I seem to also remember declaring I would never be so crazy as to marry a soldier (so glad I did - I love you, Jon!). God has a sense of humor, don't you think?!? Here's what would have happened 18 months ago if you told me you knew I'd be one of those moms....I would have laughed in your face until I peed my pants and fell off my chair. I probably wouldn't have even gotten up off the floor before I told you I would never do that to myself or my children.
I always had this notion that home schooling was pretty much for freakishly strange people who wear jumpers in a size 18 even when they could fit in a size 2 and their daughters marry farmers at 14 years old, have babies by 16 and start the whole strange cycle over again. Ok, I know that is a bit extreme, but it is pretty close to what I thought. At the very best I thought it might be okay for some people, but not us! I am pretty sure the next time I see you I won't be wearing a jumper (of any size), and Lily better not even think of getting married at 14!
I struggle with explaining this decision without sounding like we are anti-public school (this is not the case at all). We are taking this year by year. Our kiddos might end up back in "normal" school sooner than later - maybe second semester next year if we hate - I mean if we decide it is best! ; ) If you're curious, I am happy to do my best to answer any of your questions such as, "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING?!" I will just put it out there that without the prompting of God in this matter, we would not be making this move (remember what my reaction to home schooling was just a short time ago??).
We would greatly appreciate your prayers for us as we make this change - even if all you can utter is "Lord, please help that crazy family." ; )



4 comments:
You know, I think we saw the same informational video documentary on homeschool families because that was always EXACTLY the picture in my mind too.
But then recently, Josh brought up the possibility of wanting to homeschool our (someday)kids. For a lot of reasons. And now it's an option we will absolutely consider when we have kids(someday).
All that to say, I'm so proud of you for doing what is best for your family, for being obedient to God's promptings to your heart - and excited to get to watch you experiment with it first! ;)
This new adventure for your family will definitely be covered in our prayers.
what an exciting new adventure! with all your love and experience, lily couldn't be blessed with a better teacher. we'll be joining you in prayer for your family.
You sound exactly like I did a year ago!!! By God's grace I can say that this year has been so great! Kyra is excelling academically, but more than that we have seen growth in her spiritually, and personally. It has been fun(and challenging at times) to see family relationships glow and blossom and so great to have her around with little Sophy. We are also taking it one year at a time, but are definitely on board for first grade. I'd love to catch up over the phone sometime! ps-I haven't bought any jumpers yet!:)
hmmm... so I was thinking?? What color jumper would you like? Or perhaps matchy matchy for all the howes? But on a serious note, if we did do the jumpers do you think that would be less laundry? Im up for anything that = less laundry :o) Love you and praying for you every step of the way
Post a Comment