Friday, September 3, 2010

The backbone of our homeschool

We are using The Well-Trained Mind A Guide to Classical Education at Home as the backbone of our homeschool.  Reading this made me more confident that I could do this homeschool thing!

I had a handful of different moms (some homeschoolers and one with kids in public school) recommend this title. I checked the massive volume out 3 or 4 times from the library before just buying my own copy - I am sure the other people on the wait list appreciated my purchase.  I have loved having this guide on my shelf to read and re-read.

Don't be intimidated by its size if you check it out. It covers some of the why to use classical education and why to homeschool. The bulk of the material "...will instruct you, step by step, on how to give your child an academically rigorous,comprehensive education from preschool through high school - one that will train him or her to read, to think, to understand, to be well-rounded and curious about learning." (inside front flap of book jacket). Needless to say, I have only read a fraction of it thus far. 

They suggest a few curriculum options for each subject and what they believe the strengths of each are. There are countless options out there, so this really helped me narrow it down to some that have a proven track record of success. From there I based my choices off what seemed would fit us best as well as hearing from other families the +/- of some of their curriculum choices.

More on specific texts to come...

2 comments:

AML said...

Thanks for the title. Looks like a good read.

Hayley said...

How awesome you are homeschooling! I'm sure you are such a good teacher! I'm always amazed at how you do so much with your kids! You inspire me! You should write books (in your free time!) :) I have a friend here that was with us in Alaska & now she & her husband (& three kids, 7, 5 & 2) are in Georgia. She has always talked about homeschooling. Do you mind if I pass your blog to her so she can check out your resources? Good luck to you! Love ya!