Saturday, July 9, 2011

Again! Again!

Last night I read to our kids the section in our Helping Children Understand the Gospel booklet about God being the sovereign creator of all things.  It started off with a bang as the first scripture reference was a favorite of Lily and Eli's (Go ahead, read it out loud!  You'll see the way it feels rolling off your tongue :) ):

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.  Psalm 19:1

The illustration of this concept was a hit with all 3 kids.  So much so that I repeated it over and over last night, and again at the breakfast table this morning.  The book suggests paper and crayons, but we happened to be sitting by a chalkboard and chalk.  I started drawing a butterfly and then pretended the chalk said things to me like, "I don't want to draw a butterfly!"  Laughter like you wouldn't believe and the chance to talk about how just like it'd be crazy for the chalk to be in control, it would be foolish for us to believe we're in charge.  Sovereign creator is a big concept to wrap your brain around, but I think this helped give our kids a glimpse of what it means.


No comments: