Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The fight

This* is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. ~Psalm 118:24

I get this feeling that I am entitled to a rather easy, pleasing existence.  Or if my days seemingly fall apart into more of what feels like house arrest, that I am at least entitled to sigh and murmur.  Gratitude and joy vs. discouragement and grumbling.  It is a choice I must make.  And it feels like a fight.


I remember Ann's words, "Anything less than gratitude and trust is practical atheism."  I catch my breath. 


Do I believe He works all things for good (Romans 8:28)?  Do I trust His plans for me and my family (Jeremiah 29:11)?  Can I take joy in trouble (James 1:2-4)?  


By grace and through faith I answer, "Absolutely.  I believe."  


God is still working on my heart {Won't it be fantastic when in Christ the work is complete?  Come, Lord Jesus!} to moment by moment live like I know He is sovereign.  Live like I trust His plans.  Live joy and rejoicing in all things.


Eucharisteo** builds this faith and trust and helps me live what I believe.  So I fight to take every thought captive and give thanks to the One who gives all things.  


It is worth the fight.  It is a good fight (1 Timothy 6:11-12).

*Kaylee up for a pre-dawn poop.  Lily up only slightly later.  With a fever.  TV turned to Nashville Public Television.  Again.  E-mails sent to ballet and community group: we're not coming.  Again.  E-mail sent to other Daisy Girl Scout leader: I may or may not be there tomorrow.  Again.  First time to a homeschool group tomorrow cancelled.  Trip to visit my sweet sister at college this weekend: up in the air.  Again.  Getting ready to go to the doctor for a strep test.  Again.  {And, really, this is easier than many days we've faced in the past.  And so much easier than days dear friends and strangers all over the world are facing this very moment.}
** "Charis.  Grace.  Eucharisteo.  Thanksgiving.  Chara.  Joy.  A triplet of three stars, a constellation in the black.  A threefold cord that might hold a life?  Offer a way up into the fullest life?  Grace, thanksgiving, joy.  Eucharisteo.  A Greek word...that might make meaning of everything?" One Thousand Gifts p.33

2 comments:

Queenie said...

Oh friend--I'm with you. In the fight, in the hard thanksgiving. I'm always thankful for grace and the fact that God knows and cares about our trials.

Christiana said...

Beautiful <3