Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In case you want to feel really good about your own offspring & parenting skills

Yesterday.  It was really ugly.  Sigh.  

By 9 am all of our children had been disciplined at least once.  There was yelling, stomping, grabbing, and tears.   I was speaking through gritted teeth.

What is wrong with you?  WHY?  Who are you? 

Really becoming of a mom, right?  Someone should have hit me over the head with my Bible and reminded me that I am counting gifts and giving thanks.

Did I mention my mother-in-law is in town and was witness to the hideousness that was the morning of March 1, 2011 at my house?  What is that saying?  In like a lion?!  

There are moments and days when I am pretty sure I am certifiably crazy, but yesterday, oh I was beyond wondering when someone would carry me off in a straight jacket.  The kids had really stepped it up a notch or 27.  I was wondering what had possessed our kids and was thinking more of exorcising demons than asylums.  

At lunch time we picked up Jon from work.  He asked how we were doing and I said something about the worst day of my life.  That might have been a little dramatic.  Even for yesterday.  We ate pizza (surprise!) for lunch and headed to Cheekwood.  We needed the fresh air and space.  

I whispered (you can't let kids hear this type of thing or they may become bent on proving you wrong) to Jon about the kids behavior being much better.  The fresh air and freedom to run helped.  I may have been slightly irritated that they seem more well behaved for Daddy in general.  Then Jon let me in on a little secret.

I may have bribed them...I told them if they turned it around and behaved I'd get them ice-cream.



3 comments:

bren said...

Hahaha, I love it! All of it.

Danielle Riley said...

<3 I bet you are thankful for creative dads, and children who LOVE ice cream! Praying wednesday goes a little more smoothly for you!

AML said...

By 6pm today I was walking around so proud of how peaceful the day went, and then Nathan spilled a humongous glass of water across the family room and i screamed like a C.R.A.Z.Y person. He cried. It was scary terrible. Seriously it was just water. God is so faithful to show us that even with our best effort we still need him for every breath. Breathe. You are a great parent and some days we just need more help breathing...outside in the fresh air and freedom. Miss you, friend. Enjoy the gift of in-law time...and the grace given to you by them in the craziness.