Monday, May 2, 2011

The Power of the Gospel Over Hatred

The sermon Scott preached at Grace yesterday morning, "The Power of the Gospel Over Hatred," was so timely considering the news of Osama Bin Laden's death last night.  I often forget to pray for our enemies.  I made a point of it during Jon's time in Iraq.  More often now I have a hatred (as partially defined by Scott as not grieving for their souls) for them.  I am not at all condoning what the extremist, terrorist groups do, but I don't grieve over their lost souls like I should.  There are so many people living in darkness without Christ.  This sermon has encouraged me anew to pray for the lost - even the ones who seek to harm us (whew - that feels really personal as I think of what Jon faced in Iraq).  So, today as I am thankful for and praying for our military and their families, I also pray for those fighting against them (Luke 6:27 - 33; Matthew 5:43 - 46).

3 comments:

Danielle Riley said...

What a really hard concept to contemplate?! Reminding myself that Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to "ALL" men. Even those who hate us. I will boldly join you in prayer even for those who seek and have succeeded in harming us....

The Howe Family said...

D - Thanks for sharing Titus 2:11. Thanks for joining in prayer...love your heart for that even as J has also been (3 times over) directly in harms way.

Jana said...

You are so right, and so good. Thank you for reminding me to look past myself!