Thursday, May 7, 2009

Military Spouse Appreciation Day

Tomorrow, Friday, May 8, is Military Spouse Appreciation Day (this began in 1984 with Ronald Reagan). Military spouses face unique challenges* and take on a crucial role in supporting our service members. Take a moment and call or send an e-card to the military spouses you know. Encourage them, thank them, remind them that what they do matters to you, our nation, and the world.

To my sweet friends and family who are fulfilling this role with amazing strength, grace, and humility: I am grateful for you. For what you do, what (more importantly, whom) you often times live without, the moves you make, the patriotism you demonstrate for your children and our next generation, thank you. You don't wear a uniform, but you are serving our country.
" Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9)."

*I'll let you in on a little secret....I believe they (may I please take the liberty to still say "we" - at least in my own little head) also experience a unique pride, joy, hope, and appreciation for our spouses and our freedoms.

4 comments:

Christiana said...

Thank you for all you've done, and for the family you raised while your husband was keeping us all safe and free.

We're so happy he's back - and so thankful for what both of you have done for our future.

Jessica Howard said...

Happy Mother's Day, Jen! You have such an amazing family. You are an incredible mother - wish I could see you in action with 3. I hope it is a great, great day!

AML said...

missing a post from the howe family. hoping you are all doing well.

Jana said...

You're so great about remembering these things. I still remember the note and phone call you gave me last year when Mark was deployed. Thanks for being such a thoughtful friend.