Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sleepless in Franklin

Last night was virtually sleepless.  This after reading that babies of Kaylee's healthy size should sleep 6-8 hour stretches at night (her great night is a 4 hour stretch).  Talk about adding insult to injury! After diaper changes, feedings, tummy drops, and multiple booger sucking sessions with the dreaded bulb syringe, Kaylee still couldn't settle down and sleep for more than about 45 minutes at a time.  We'd barely drift back to sleep, and she'd cry again.  

I hate to admit it, but there have been long nights with the kids when I was not feeling very compassionate.  Nights when I was about ready to kick and scream like a child, and just put a pillow over my head and hope they'd figure out how to get comfortable on their own.  Anyone else ever felt this way?!?  

Thankfully, last night was different.  I felt calm and not worried about having a headache in the morning.  I wasn't thinking about how I'd have to get up and get the other kids ready and going for the day.  I wasn't concerned about the fact that a nap the next day probably wouldn't happen.  Instead, I remembered how many nights I spent wakeful, wondering about Jon's day in Iraq.  And how in those nights, I had spent countless hours praying.  Last night I did the same thing.

I was mostly a broken record player asking that Baby KK would feel better (and thus get some shut eye!), and that I could find a way to comfort her.  You parents understand how it breaks your heart to not be able to help your child.  Around 4:30 this morning, something changed.  I remembered the Bible tells us that God doesn't sleep or slumber.  In the midst of not being able to comfort Kaylee, I was comforted, and my prayers turned to thanksgiving and praise.

So, in the wee hours of the morning, these are some things I was reminded of and am ever grateful for...
1.  God doesn't slumber - He is always with us & meets us wherever we are...even in a dark bedroom in the middle of the night with a screaming baby.
2.  Our heavenly Father is our comforter.
3.  He gives us peace (to any listening ear, our bedroom full of crying was anything but peaceful!) that surpasses understanding.
4.  In my weak and tired moments, He is strong.
5.  If I so desperately wanted to make Kaylee feel better, how much more does our God want to love and take care of us?!

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

  My help comes from the LORD, 
 the Maker of heaven and earth.

 He will not let your foot slip— 
  he who watches over you will not slumber;

 indeed, he who watches over Israel 
 will neither slumber nor sleep.

  The LORD watches over you— 
   the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

 the sun will not harm you by day, 
nor the moon by night.

  The LORD will keep you from all harm— 
 he will watch over your life;

  the LORD will watch over your coming and going 
  both now and forevermore.

2 comments:

Queenie said...

I hope your baby is feeling better. . thanks for the encouragement, as always, to find joy in the everyday trials of raising small children.

Dan said...

Why do babies hate the bulb syringe? I would think they would love it because after you suck them dry they can actually breathe. Elliott screams bloody murder when I take it out...he knows it's coming.