Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Can you help me?

So, I usually spend 2 - 3 hours eating breakfast, and it drives me crazy.  Kaylee starts the morning bright dark and early with Eli and then Lily following.  By the time one is finished with breakfast, another is beginning; and by the time Lis done, K is practically ready for a snack.  I won't say the lengthy time I spend in the kitchen and at the table is wasted, because I like to chat, read the Bible and pray with them during this time.  But, it sure would be nice to just have this time together, all at once.

Can you help me with any ideas or tips??  Here are the 2 main things that have prevented me from finding a solution:
1.  I don't want to wake up kids who are sound asleep.  It is pretty much against my religion.  We've never been graced with a super sleeper, and now that some of us are waiting until after the sun rises to wake up, I hate to start making them rise and shine before the sun.  If you think I need to just get over this and make everyone wake up between 5 and 5:30, please find a gentle way to break it to me.
2.  Food is the first thing our kiddos want in the morning.  I have to remind them that the potty comes first.  So, requiring the earliest riser to wait for breakfast would be painful (think tears).

Hoping someone has the ticket to me gaining at least an hour in the day!

2 comments:

AML said...

oh that is a tough one. my kids like to eat right when they wake up too (just like their mama). i have a hard time understanding how A can practically go through half the day before taking a bite of anything. i have got to eat. i admire your desire to have all the kiddos eat breakfast together. and why not? they are all there. do you all eat dinner at the same time (some families don't. i'm not judging.)? i personally would not wake any kid up in the AM to make "breakfast time"...unless they were sleeping in crazy late of course like 9 or 10. maybe your early bird could have a snack (a banana or yogurt) first thing to tie her over until the rest of the family wakes up to join her for breakfast. that is all i got. good luck.

floyd said...

I have had the exact same issues!:) I know K is kinda young for this, but we started a 6am rule a few months ago-I got clocks from target and wrote out a six for Hayley. No one is allowed to talk or get out of bed(except for potty) until 6:00. Hayley comes out at 6:00 every morning saying "there's a 6 next to my dot". Then I give Myles and Hayley milk and a banana or grapes until Kyra is up and we all have breakfast. Don't know if that will help:)