Saturday, October 16, 2010

Third time's a charm

Freeman will not stop going potty on the rugs.  2 weeks of this unsuccessful house breaking effort and I am about to scream (...oh wait, I did scream a little bit ago).  Yeah, I used our steam vac on the carpets just last night -  the dog has peed 3 times in the house today.  The third time was the charm for me.  I called him the unthinkable.  The thing you never dare let your parents hear you call your sisters.  I called him a stupid idiot.  In front of our 3 small, impressionable children.  That will certainly come back to haunt me.  Or maybe it will keep them from tee-teeing on the rugs?

PS - I have sought wise counsel in the matter (the dog one, not my rude language) - a friend who loves her dog like a child and another friend who gets to hear all of my issues, dog pee and otherwise.  A and D, I hope to hear from you soon!  Freeman is hoping so too, because he is being kept outside right now. ;o)

5 comments:

Danielle Riley said...

lol praying that was Freeman's last "teetee" on the rug (for the night anyways)

maybe keep a good supply of carpet cleaner in the house?!

AML said...

OK, I can detect your sense of urgency. Stupid idiot? Things are definitely getting serious. I'll quit procrastinating and send an email soon.

The Howe Family said...

Thanks D and A for your emails about puppy teetee...
We no longer have rugs in the house. Freeman, this is it, man. Figure this doing your business outside thing out if you want to continue to be allowed in the house and esp on the couch snuggling in my lap.

Sarah V Mendonca said...

Hey Jen! I stumbled upon your blog- so fun to read! Your kids are ADORABLE. So interesting to see that you are homeschooling too! How is that going? So, my advice for puppy training....here it goes...set a timer. Like a child set it for 30 minutes. Every 30 minutes take Freeman outside, same spot and tell him Go Pee (or whatever words you are using). You might have to wait out there for a bit but he will eventually go. Praise him afterwards and make sure you say GOOD PEE Freeman. Make sure you do it every 30 minutes. He will get it! Also, are you crate training Freeman?

The Howe Family said...

Hey Sarah!! Your married name confused me for half a second. ; )
Home schooling is going well - love the flexibility and having L around!
TY for your tips! I am all about the teetee timer for kiddos, and was taking the dog out every 20 - 30 minutes with that method. : ) We are using "go potty" (keeps it simple for me - I tell him and the kids the same thing!). Yes, he is crate trained. The rugs seem to be what triggered him. We are all walking on and playing on hard floors now, but it is a small price to pay to stop dumping Nature's Miracle cleaner all over the place!
Have a great day!