Friday, October 15, 2010

Our move: the 10 year journey

I have started this post about our move many times, and have either deleted it intentionally or gotten interrupted and just never finished it.  A friend encouraged me yesterday to share what we are doing in response to what God is doing in our hearts in spite of my fears of the way people might respond to what I say.  This might take a few sittings and posts for me to write, but here goes my attempt to record some of our journey...

This part of our story started about 10 years ago when we listened to a sermon on cassette tape ; )  on a drive from Arizona back to Point Loma.  The only thing I remember from it was the pastor and his family lived in an area that wasn't the safest and his son's bike got stolen.  In response to this he told the boy it was awesome, because it was preparing him for missions and to serve Christ.  I don't remember the exact quote, but it was certainly not a response I expected or would have!  It startled me a little to witness Jon's response - he was pumped!  It sparked something in him that hasn't left his heart since.
***
This is hard to write!  I keep starting to share another point on this road, but then it makes me remember something else that happened before that.  I am realizing that writing this chronologically with all the details  might not happen.  So, you'll probably just get snapshots in no particular order!  It also is a good reminder to myself of the finger prints of God that we've seen along the way - that is encouraging. : )
***
I have looked for that sermon online without success, but I did find one that has also impacted us.  I highly recommend Risk and the Cause of God by John Piper.  It feels somewhat silly to say moving to Nashville is a risk in light of what others have done and are doing for the sake of Christ.  This is one reason I think I haven't shared much here about this move - it feels like it shouldn't be a big deal.  But in our hearts and in our emotions and lives, it has been for us.  We've also felt the possibility that this might be a baby step for something bigger in the future.  Time will tell!

Time for me to hit "publish post" before I change my mind. ; )

2 comments:

AML said...

Oooo...ready to read more.

Christiana said...

So intrigued - excited for more.