Monday, October 11, 2010

Hicklen Farm

We went to the sweetest pumpkin farm today!  If you are in the Nashville area, you really have to go.  They are at 2410 Rocky Fork Road Nolensville, TN 37135 and their phone number (you'll think you've just called an elderly man living in the country at his home...you'll be right) is 776-2231.  It doesn't seem to have regular hours, so I'd suggest calling before you head over there.

When we arrived, we were the only people there until it was almost time to leave.  It was a simple, quiet pumpkin patch experience.  Miss Sarah and Mr. Johnny were so kind to us, and it was evident they really love having children at their place.  Sarah shared that her family has owned that farm for about 150 years.  She has lived there since she was 9 months old!  I just can't imagine (as I am about to move into about my 10th home not including college dorms)!  She proudly brought out a book with a picture of their farm in it - out of 3000 photos of old barns in Tennessee, it was one of 300 that made it into the book.  I couldn't really tell you why, but standing there talking to her brought tears to my eyes.  She spoke of different days when they daily had a wagon out front selling vegetables - days before they were "getting older" and days before neighborhoods were practically built on top of them.  Originally they charged to have families and school groups come, now you can just go wander and visit a bit for no charge.  Their pumpkins are priced much cheaper than any I think I have ever seen.  Every child also gets a cute little pumpkin for the small price of drawing a picture for Miss Sarah and writing your name and age on the paper.  She proudly showed me her set of pictures from last year and the collection she's got going this year too.  Mr. Johnny and Miss Sarah were "obligated" to attend a funeral this morning, and she gave me a hug and apologized for having to "run off so quick before [we were] ready to go."  Their daughter and son-in-law also live on the property, and he was "left in charge to take care of [us]."  Take care of us he did - the wagon full of fun pumpkins and other gourds you'll see Eli pulling below cost us $5.00.  We're going back with a picnic next time.



 This is Mr. Johnny before he changed into his slacks, suspenders, bolo tie, and "fancy" cowboy hat.  I wish I had taken a picture of Miss Sarah too - next time!










1 comment:

AML said...

When I read the text of your post I thought what a fun day you all must of had. As I started scanning through the photos, I smiled at the image of a special family memory made. But when I saw that happy, black, furry face lined up with the other three Howe kids, my heart melted. He is part of the family indeed. Glad you all had a great time. Farm pumpkin patches are the best kind.